Welcome to the new TrotMania forums, TrotTalk! All users and posts have been migrated from the previous forum, but due to the nature of the migration, you must reset your password in order to re-gain access. If you need assistance, please ask an administrator on the TrotMania IRC chat accessible from the front page. If you are using a Microsoft-operated e-mail domain (i.e. Hotmail or Outlook.com), you will have issues receiving the reset e-mail, and a manual reset will be required.

The Kancsar Musifications Release (and submission) Thread

Do you have what it takes to join the TrotMania team? Show us samples of your work (including art, stepcharts, etc.) and who knows what could happen next!
Diskette
Pony

The Kancsar Musifications Release (and submission) Thread

Postby Diskette » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello everypony, and welcome to The Kancsar Musifications Release (and submission) Thread, made by the great guys at The Kancsar Productions, ran by me, and my master and friend, Kancsar!

Okay, before we begin, i would like to briefly explain what does the thread title means:
This thread will act both as a Release thread, which is self-explanatory, and a Submission thread, that will act as a stepchart showcase to the TrotMania team for auditioning for the stepcharting team position.
(note: if the two contradicts with each other, tell me so, and i'll change the thread type to only one of the two)

Now the main question some people will ask: "What is The Kancsar Musifications?"

The Kancsar Musifications is a variety pad-type song pack (and later courses too), which i charted by myself. The aim for this thread, as stated above, is to publish said charts to the public for anyone to try out, but the secondary aim, is to receive feedback on these stepcharts, descriptions on what went through creating these charts, and help on what did i do right and/or wrong. This thread will only focus on pony songs (until granted permission otherwise), but the pack itself will cover all kinds of free, non-commercial licensed songs, like video game soundtrack. Those will not have detailed description, but instead will be simply included within the pack. (First Trial version only contains the submitted 3 pony songs for now)

Important notes about what will be described:
About chart difficulties
For the sake of this community, we will be using TM3's (and TM4 if they will persist upon release) terminology for difficulties, along color coding them. These are:
  • Novice/Beginner will be Blank Flank
  • Easy will be Crusader
  • Medium will be Protege
  • Hard will be Mane-iac
  • Expert/Challenge will be Iron Pony
  • Edit will stay grey
Difficulty scale will use the 1-19 range what TrotMania also uses (does this scale have an official name?), but be aware, that they might not be correct, according to what the general public will think of it. If i have a specific doubt towards a difficulty's number, i will state it on the song's description.

About song genres
Okay, i will give it out straight...I suck at recognizing genres myself, except for a few ones which i may recognize. On that situation, i will try to research the song's genre via any of the artist's distribution media, or look around the publicity if other people knows it. I don't ask individual people outside this thread, because i don't want to tell them what for...and for some reason i'm shy to do so...
If i can't find or figure out the genre, i will mark it as 'unknown', but in the chart itself, the #GENRE field will simply be left out blank, until the genre got discovered.
Related to genres, i may not know the name or terms for some electronic instruments, or misconcept them, having no experience on music composing or let alone remixing...for the time being anyway...
I will try to do my best to research them.

About song arts
(The following will cover Banners, Jackets, and Background as "song arts". Album art or any other referenced image will be referred as "original art".)
I have mostly mediocre skills in photoshop, enough to play around with Blending Options for layers, which what i'll mostly do for the effects seen in the song arts. The actual original art used for the song will either come from the song's album art, or one of it's video's snapshot, if any. If not applicable, i will try to come up of an original idea on how to design the song arts.
I will always use all 3 type of song arts for every completed song i make, even a Background image for those, that already uses a video for Background.

And that's all you need to know beforehand, so without further ado, let's get on showcasing the songs!

Songlist

Alex S.
The Dive Game
BPM: 88(87.5) - 175 (Constant beat rate with halved sections)
Difficulties: 2 - 5 - 6 - 9 - 13
Length:
2:24
Genre: Modern Dubstep
Video: 720p 30fps AVI 1.5MB/s bitrate
Gimmick Features: None

Inspired by a random silly attraction sequence on a 4-player compatible ITG theme, and the fact, that i wanted to do better than that one chart from D.O.W.N.S. 4, comes this surprisingly (and apparently) not very well known Alex S. song which i fell in love of, part of the 'Life As We Know It EP' album. This is the first song i started to chart for this song pack. (I had previous practice by charting a few hungarian licensed songs for my family)
I started with Iron Pony, as i wanted to catch the feel of the complex synth-wave used here. Initially i went way too overboard with jumps (and i started this as a Mane-iac chart initially), so after a few tests, i toned it down to not be too stamina draining too quickly.
The most interesting thing about the song's cuts is that's how it was cut in the PMV used for this song, which was made by The Acleps. However, i needed to fix the beats going off after the cuts, so i grabbed my video editor, Sony Vegas (which i used for general beat-based audio editing, till i discovered a plugin for Audacity later), and realigned the video and audio to not get off-sync. (Basically i grabbed the original song by Alex S., and redid the cuts myself) I also tried to mimic the video's thumbnail to use for the Jacket. (Banner was the one made first, before i started doing the Jacket...and then the BG image)

Daniel Ingram
The Spectacle
feat. Lena Hall
BPM: 130
Difficulties: 2 - 4 - 6 - 8
Length:
1:07
Genre: Electro-Pop
Video: 720p 25fps AVI 1.5MB/s bitrate
Gimmick Features: Few Stutters

Obsolete! - This chart is discontinued due to TM4 already having this song charted. Replacement chart will be made in it's place.
When i first heard this on MLP:FiM S5E24, i had this in my mind: "A Lady Gaga-like song in MY FiM?...this needs to be charted." So i went ahead and did the honors. This was not hard to chart, as it is short (unfortunately), and simple...simple on the Electronic Pop music standards...i think. Do note, that the video used, and the song itself was ripped from a HD episode video, as this was made way before 'Pinkie Pie's Party Playlist' was released.
Also a something about the title, first is with the artist: I do not agree how the first 3 TrotMania song packs refer the show songs' artist as 5 music notes. First reason being it clashes with a few songs in Rhythm is Magic (and maybe the now defunct TM Crusaders), ruining auto-gen Oni courses, but also because i don't see the decision and reason behind not including 'Daniel Ingram' as an artist. So i made the artist name for this chart as how it should be.
Second is with the subtitle: I went by actress name for the featured line, as Ms. Hall being a very extraordinaire guest star for that episode, i thought it would feel more exciting, than going by her character's name, 'Countess Coloratura'.
As for the Jacket, i have no idea why i particularly needed to include "OFFICIAL SONG" below the MLP:FiM logo...maybe to replace including Mr. Ingram there, since most (yes, there are a very rare exceptions) show songs are always from Daniel Ingram...that does not relate on why the actual artist title on the chart needs to be included...as for the Banner, the logo is there, but the text from the Jacket is absent.

Sim Gretina
Runaway
feat. Kathy-chan
BPM: 160
Difficulties: 3 - 5 - 7 - 12 - 14
Length:
2:02
Genre: Drum 'n Bass
Video: None
Gimmick Features: Iron Pony uses the instrumental version of this song (SSC only)

Oh boy, Iron Pony was really difficult to chart. I first started with Protege, which is just basically following the vocals, with included chords, then went down with the difficulties, then skipped Mane-iac and went for Iron Pony. By the time i went there, i have ran out of ideas of how to influence this specific difficulty, with the instruments itself being slightly repetitive at points. Then i started deeply listening to the percussion of the song, slowing down the music rate to x0.5 or x0.75, and thought up of how i can step this. Due to using the percussion for the song, this difficulty was gonna be named "Drumpad". But in order for me to really hear the percussion, i needed to eliminate the vocals somehow, which then made me remember Sim Gretina sometimes releases instrumental versions of songs he releases...And then i first temporarily replaced the music file used with the instrumental version (including the cuts, of course), and started doing better at creating the step patterns, but later i've found out, that for SSC simfiles only, i can make one specific difficulty use a completely different music file, which gave me the idea, of turning the Iron Pony chart into an "Instrumental" chart. So i kept it like that after all. (after returning the original music file to it's place)

Download
First Trial version
Includes the above listed 3 pony songs only for now.

New major versions of The Kancsar Musifications will be released on a longer periods, which will include several new songs (and later courses too), including non-pony songs. Any Mixfixes (hotfix) will be released much sooner, than major versions, but all releases will follow the common "When i'm done" rule.

Version History
  • 2017. Feb 7th - Thread General Edit/Songlist Modification - The Spectacle chart has been marked "obsolete", due to TM4 already having the song. A replacement song will be made, that will be part of the First Trial version, on a Mixfix.
  • 2017. Feb 5th - Thread General Edit - Songlist General Info will now mention what kind of varying BPM a song uses
  • 2017. Feb 4th - First Trial - First release of The Kancsar Musifications. Includes 3 pony songs

Feedback are welcome!
I'm open to constructive criticism on how i could improve my work, and also if i'm eligible to join the stepcharting team. Also tell me if there's any technical or stepchart problem i looked over.
Thank you for taking your time to read this giant wall of text (or most if you skipped some...or all of them), and thank you for taking your time to try out these charts i made.
Last edited by Diskette on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
With love by The Kancsar Productions!
Founded by humans, Ran by ponies!

RIME
TM Staff
TM Staff

Re: The Kancsar Musifications Release (and submission) Thread

Postby RIME » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:36 am

Diskette wrote:Also a something about the title, first is with the artist: I do not agree how the first 3 TrotMania song packs refer the show songs' artist as 5 music notes. First reason being it clashes with a few songs in Rhythm is Magic (and maybe the now defunct TM Crusaders), ruining auto-gen Oni courses, but also because i don't see the decision and reason behind not including 'Daniel Ingram' as an artist. So i made the artist name for this chart as how it should be.
Second is with the subtitle: I went by actress name for the featured line, as Ms. Hall being a very extraordinaire guest star for that episode, i thought it would feel more exciting, than going by her character's name, 'Countess Coloratura'.

The reason we don't label show-tune artists is because, though a lot of the fandom credits Daniel Ingram for the entire set of music, there are more people involved than that, such as William Anderson (especially the instrumentals like One-on-One and Serious Workout and possibly some composition work on the songs with vocals) and of course a litany of vocalists. If we credited everybody, the listings would become an unreadable mess very quickly. Also, it makes sorting easier, since the showtunes basically get their own little section in Artists and Genres because of it and the "My Little Pony" genre all of them get.

Lirodon
TM Admin
TM Admin

Re: The Kancsar Musifications Release (and submission) Thread

Postby Lirodon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am

Plus it's also an minor Bemani reference, given that Pop'n music does something very similar with anime covers.

Return to “Join the Herd”